Thursday, March 31, 2011

César Chávez Day

The last time I saw César Chávez was during a visit that he made to El Paso, in the midst of a strike by the Steelworkers Union (it might have been the Phelps Dodge strike--I can't remember exactly).  He spoke at the Mine and Mill to a very enthusiastic crowd.  His ability to move people with his tremendous public presence and speaking ability had not dimmed a bit.  By the end, the place was shaking.  We had been invited by the local leadership of the union to attend.  I have a wonderful photograph of a ragtag bunch of activistas including Carmen Felix and myself with César.  We all look so young and happy.  I would love to reproduce the photograph here, but the copy I have is a scan of the original, and I think that a scan of a scan would produce an image of terrible quality.  I'll try and get hold of the original and post it here sometime.  In the meantime--¡la lucha continua!

No comments:

Post a Comment