Thursday, May 2, 2019

Love is the Highest Reality




Novalis wrote: Das sind glückliche Leute, die überall Gott vernehmen, überall Gott finden, diese Leute sind eigentlich religiös.  (These are happy people who hear God everywhere, find God everywhere; these are actually religious people.)  To find God in all persons, all things, all circumstances of life, in an unending dialog of love.  Wer Gott einmal suchen will, der findet ihn überall.  (Whoever wants to seek God, finds him everywhere.) 

Once, in a dream, I was walking toward the door of a house that I had never visited before, across a red stone yard, and I was suddenly filled with an overwhelming desire to have nothing in me but God, to finally be rid of everything that wasn’t God.  The dream stayed in my memory as a great inspiration, a great hope, and a great reminder of my deepest desire.  Novalis also said: Glauben ist Empfindung des Erwachens und Wirkens und Sinnens in einer andern Welt.  (Faith is the sensation of awakening and working and being in another world.)  Not just looking at this world differently—but being in another world.

No comments:

Post a Comment